The days of just a few flyers and posters to help support a bands efforts are long since gone. Why not make the most of all the hard work you are putting in. Moving image simply speaks volumes and adds so much to any musical effort.
The basic sorts of moving image for the music world are:
- music videos
- filmed performance
- event visuals
- online video – website
- social media
- filmed statements.
Moving image can be presented in a number of different forms –
- online, on various websites, be they centred on the particular artists, labels etc. themselves, or collective sites such as social media sites, forums or others;
- dvd layers on cd’s;
- as projections, for example event visuals.
- performance style videos
- story videos
- animation videos
- any combination of the above
e. the use of effects
g. credits, links and logos
2. Filmed performance and events would normally be presented as a straight and uncomplicated piece of film but can include:
- the use of more than one camera and edited in a way to highlight particular parts of the performance or the event;
- the use of a single camera;
- titling and credits, logos, links;
- some effects.
Filmed performance – as it says on the tin, film of one or more performances, using one or more cameras, with or without effects, titling, credits, other additions such as stills.
3. event visuals:
- using a VJ with pre-prepared content in contrast to or complementing the performance as a whole or in each part
- using projections of the crowd and or performance as it occurs
- using third party footage
4. online video
We will be presenting a special and separate article on online/website video for the music world but …
Online video, be it a website dedicated to the musicians etc. concerned – their own website, or perhaps a label, genre, geographical area – or something wider such as social media, can include any or all of the above. In some cases hybrids or combinations can be of use. The style of video, as always, needs to fit the purpose of the band.
A few bands, producers etc. have something in the way of online presence. A few pieces of video can make a real difference to that. It can be a key element in the whole branding effort, be it some event filming, magazine pieces, intros, vox pops, interviews or a mix.
5. social media
We will be presenting a special and separate article on social media for bands
Facebook – flickr – youtube – myspace
and more …
the use of social media can use all of the other instances of video and visual content but presented in a form and size applicable to the site.
6. Filmed statements here include:
- direct interviews with the musicians themselves and range from
- general interviews with multiple subjects or areas of discussion or statement
- overviews concerning particular events, situations, releases etc.
- vox pops, the testimonial, the statement by buddies, the man or woman in the street
- the professional statement, reviews, critiques, presentations